About the competition
Face Off is a competition and exhibit made up of amateur and professional photographers. Using only one lens and one camera, each participant has exactly 20 minutes to photograph 2 different models independently, at a secret location. The photographer then must choose 2 photos (one of each model) to have printed and displayed at a gala at the end of November. All participant photos will be anonymously displayed for the general public. The catch? The audience will also decide the winner of Face Off by voting for the photo they feel shows the most creativity and vision. The winning prize is a secret for now, but is valued at roughly $500.
Rules for Participants
- Contest is open to anyone interested in photography, to a maximum of 30 participants
- Entry fee is $50 – this money will go toward the cost of models, printing photos, prizes, and venue rental/administrative costs. Payment must be made in advance. There will be no refund for dropouts, no-shows, camera or editing malfunctions, or if you fail to follow the rules below. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for payment and registration. Entry fee can be done via email transfer to the address above.
- Deadline to enter is Nov 1, 2012.
- Shooting day is Sunday, Nov 4, 2012.
- One lens
- One camera
- One prop (up to the photographer if they choose to use it or not)
- No assistants
- Exactly 20 minutes of shooting – you will be timed!
- Artificial lighting gear is acceptable
- Tripods are acceptable
- Must choose one photo of each model for exhibition
- Participants are allowed to: crop slightly, colour correct, de-saturate, make B&W and adjust contrast. Over-use of Photoshop is NOT ALLOWED, ie HDR, superimposing images, extreme cropping, etc.
- Photos will be printed at larger than 11×14, up to 24×20, so you’ll need a camera that can handle that print size (DSLR or Film)
- Most important: be creative and have fun!
The Fine Print
- Photographers own the copyright to all of their images, printed or otherwise, in any and all instances
- Organizers of the event are not eligible for prizes
- If you have any other questions or comments, please contact me
*Face Off is designed to showcase the incredible talent of Yellowknife’s photographers. With that goal in mind, be respectful of the rules and regulations and lets show our support for this great artistic community. Good luck!